What is a doula and why would I want one?
A doula is a person who is trained in the natural process of pregnancy, birth and postpartum periods. When hiring a doula to attend the birth of your baby, you are bringing in a support system that helps ground, calm and provide the space for your family to navigate labor and birth with a supportive, knowledgable professional. Doulas have been shown to improve birth outcomes and client satisfaction.
Some individuals choose to decline a doula because they have a partner who is physically and emotionally present. While it is so helpful to have them, the partner is also new to labor and birth. A doula brings knowledge of whats normal, and has a wide array of tools to use when labor intensifies.
In my labor doula care package I provide up to two prenatal visits to get to know each other and answer any questions you have about birth or normal procedures. We are also able to talk about any specific requests or a birth plan you have so that I am best able to support you during labor. I am on-call and available from 36 weeks until the birth of your baby, as well as non-urgent support during business hours for questions or concerns. I also include two postpartum visits in your home to assist in rest, health, breastfeeding and normal newborn behavior.
Labor Doula Care Package includes:
- Urgent phone call and text support 24/7 from time of hire until 4 weeks postpartum
- Non-urgent phone call, text and email support from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday from time of hire until 4 weeks postpartum
- Up to two prenatal visits (60 minutes each)
- On-call 24/7 from 36 weeks until birth of baby
- On-call physical, emotional, informational support within the doula scope of practice throughout labor and birth
- Up to two postpartum visits in your home (60 minutes each)
- Beyond two prenatal and/or postpartum visits are available at additional costs
Doula Scope of Care
As your doula I will provide physical, emotional, and informational support. I will serve as a liaison with medical personnel so that your wishes can be met as closely as possible. I am not able to perform any clinical tasks that a midwife is able to perform, nor am I able to make decisions for you, or speak to medical personnel on your behalf.